Thursday, January 8, 2009

Another One Out of The Nest

I just got an email from one of my favorite "frequent flier" students. He holds the record for taking the most classes from me -- three different classes, one of which he took twice (the student-managed investment fund class).

He just found out that he got the job he was hoping for. It wasn't his dream job (an assistant analyst position at an Investment Management firm), but in this economy, it's a pretty good one. It's back office, but since he's taking the CFA Level 2 exam this June, he has a good chance of networking himself into the front office in the next couple of years.

Since I run the Student-Managed Fund at my school and am heavily involved in helping the students work towards the CFA exams, I end up getting to know many of our best students (neither the student managed fund nor the CFA scholarships are open to everyone, and I play a significant part in deciding who gets in for both programs). So I consider both groups to be "my" students, no matter what other classes they take (and with who) while they're here at Unknown University.

All in all, it's a good way to start the year. I definitely get paternal (in the old sense of the word) with my students. So it's a little bit of "Proud Father" moment. Schmaltzy, but I'll take it.